another month between posts! in my defence i was away for pretty much all of july. one of the places i went was india – specifically delhi, jaipur and jodhpur. india was a place that was not really on my travel radar, and in truth i was terrfied before i left. i’m a pretty good traveller, but i had read and heard so many bad things about getting sick and women’s safety. now – i am so glad i pushed that stuff to the back of my head and had the opportunity to go.
i can’t even begin to put the trip into words. if you have been to india you will know what i am saying – the history, the colour, the smells, the poverty, the extreme wealth, the overload of people, the delicious food – all that plus more combined for one gigantic mind-blowing experince. i really truly felt like i was in another world, which i think is becoming a harder and harder situation to find. and that was even with a very tame and cushy version of india that i had (ie much time in hotels and cars and not much time out there living it).
- staying at the Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur. that place was no joke. the king of jodphur still lives in part of the palace and can occsaionally be sighted swimming in the pool. unbelieveable.
- cows, pigs, dogs, camels, monkeys and even the occasional elephant. animals pretty much everywhere you looked (animal poop everywhere as well – that bit not so good).
- the food! i was happily vegetarian for the trip and ate some of the best food in my LIFE. this restuarnt was particularly delicious. i also ate kulfi every day too.
- the pattern and colour – india is textile heaven, but beyond that there is colour and pattern on everyone and everything. the truck folk art particularly took my fancy (find more on that here).
- seeing the pure existence of people – poor, rich, old, young – just so many people doing their thing and trying to survive. it was heart-wrenching, heart-warming and mind-boggling all at the same time.
there have been many asking why i went to india – something i still can not reveal. but i can say it’s a new and long term project i am working on, and it’s SO exciting, and it’s taking all my will power not to scream it to the world. but all in good time.